Brownielocks and The 3
(Please do not steal these trivia questions or submit them to other trivia websites. It took a lot of work. Thanks.)
Here we are for Halloween 2005 dressed up as
A Pairs Team
Our Figure Skating
Trivia Game is simple.
After reading the question, just place your mouse OVER the pair of skates button and the answer will appear.
If using a smart phone to view these pages, just put your finger on the symbol and hold it for a moment. A pop up that contains the answer will appear. To close the pop up, just tap elsewhere on the screen.
(It's not a link) No need to change pages.
IF YOU ARE BLOCKING POP-UP ADS, etc.
THIS WILL BLOCK MY ANSWERS FROM SHOWING ALSO!
are 50 questions.
(Keep track how many you get right. )
See how much you know about the most popular Winter Olympic Sport.
There have been a lot of great skaters through the years. It was just impossible to cover them all.
1. During Neolithic times, people in northern Europe attached what to their feet in order to move along the ice?
Hollowed-out rib bones from Elk
(b) Pieces of Wood
During the Middle Ages, iron skates replaced bone skates in which country first?
3. But, the Industrial Revolution really made the iron skate popular. By then, iron skates were marketed all over Europe. But, which country really perfected the iron skate and distinguished skating on outside edges or inside edges?
4. During the era when showing your ankle was considered indecent exposure, who did not shock the world when she pulled up her long skirt in front of everyone in order to skate with more ease?
(b) Princess of Orange
(c) Princess of Windsor
5. The first book on figure skating was published in 1772. It was written by a:
British Military Lieutenant
(b) A Russian Ballet Teacher
(c) A Circus Performer
1783, the Encyclopedia Britannica acknowledged figure skating and described it
(a) A form of transportation
(b) A form of dancing
(c) A form of elegant amusement
7. The first Skating Club was founded in 1742 and was men only. Where was this club?
(b) Edinburgh, Scotland
(c) New York, NY
8. In what year did this skating club finally allow women members?
9. Interaction between men and women on the skating rink had a lot of silly rules and punishments in the early years. One such rule was in Headland, Alabama that stated: "Men were prohibited from turning and looking at a woman that way while ice skating." On the first offense, he got a warning. But, if he did it again, his punishment was what?
(a) Had to
pay a fine of $100
(b) Had to write a public apology to the husband (or family)
(c) Had to wear horse blinders for 24 hours
10. Jackson Haines (born in Chicago 1840) is said to have been the innovator of what in figure skating?
the first light-weight one-piece boot with a 7 ft. radius blade
(b) Being indecent by stretching his leg high above his hip in an arabesque style
(c) Bringing orchestras to the ice to accompany his skating moves
(d) All of the above
11. On February 1, 1879 all skating clubs in England and Scotland joined together to create the NSA (National Skating Association) in Cambridge, England for promoting what kind of skating competitions?
(b) Figure Skating
(c) Men and Women Pairs Skating
12. H.E. Vandervell is called "The Father of British Skating" and is credited with creating what for the NSA?
Scores (for figure skating when it was accepted later).
(b) Tests and Scoring for doing "figures" in skating
(c) A coaching system
13. Many of the skating positions are named after the skaters who created them. Which of the following male skaters had a moved named after him:
(b) Elvis Stoiko
(c) Ulrich Salchow
Who is considered the most decorated female figure skater?
(a) Maribel Vinson
(b) Michelle Kwan
(c) Katarina Witt
Nancy Kerrigan won a Silver Medal at the 1994 Olympics (Lillehammer, Norway).
Her nemesis, Tonya Harding finished in what place?
(c) Didn't finish at all.
16. The first internet figure skating site on the internet was in 1995. Which one was it?
17. What is considered to be the most difficult jump in figure skating?
(triple or quad)
(b) Lutz (triple or quad)
(c) Salchow (triple or quad)
18. Dick Button is now a commentator for skating. But, in his past, he won 7 US National Men's titles, 5 Men's World Titles and how many Olympic Gold Medals?
19. Which female figure skater is the only one to ever win 3 Olympic Gold Medals?
(b) Maribel Vinson
(c) Sonja Henie
20. What is the area called where skaters go to sit with their coaches and hear their scores?
Smile and Cry
(b) The Kiss and Cry
(c) The Smile and Sigh
21. The first male skater to ever land a successful quad jump in an Olympic competition is:
(b) Alexei Yagudin
(c) Timothy Goebel
22. This 1976 US Female Olympic Gold Medal winner made a hairstyle very popular after she won.
(b) Peggy Flemming
(c) Janet Lynn
23. In 1998, this Olympic Gold figure skater caused a stir and melted some ice by posting nude for Playboy magazine.
(b) Oksana Baiul
(c) Katarina Witt
24. Which female figure skater is the first to perform a triple axel in a professional competition?
(b) Tonya Harding
(c) Surya Bonaly
25. In what year did Scott Hamilton win the Gold Medal at the Olympics?
26. Which ice skating couple is said to have elevated the art of "dying on ice"?
Blumberg & Michael Seibert
(b) Martina Klimova & Sergei Ponomarenko
(c) Torvill & Dean
27. Which Olympic-winning pairs team's career tragically ended when he died suddenly of a heart attack?
Bestermianova & Bukin
(b) Usova & Zhulin
(c) Gordeeva & Grinkov
28. In 2004, the ISU (International Skating Union) changed it's scoring system from the the 6.0 ordinals to a "Code of Points" system after which pairs team ended up in a tie for the Gold Medal at the 2002 Olympics?
Berezhnaya & Anton Sikhuralidze
(b) Jamie Sale & David Pelletier
(c) Both of them
29. In 1998
this US Olympic Gold Medal skater was diagnosed with breast cancer.
(a) Kitty Caruthers
(b) Peggy Fleming
(c) Dorothy Hamill
30. In 1996, Rudy Galindo was the first Mexican-American to win the US Mens Figure Skating Championship. But, Rudy was also the first in what else?
(a) To be
(b) To have a coach that wasn't a former Olympic Champion
31. Which male figure skater (as of to date) is the ONLY one to be featured ALONE on the cover of Sports Illustrated?
(b) Victor Petrenko
(c) Ilia Kulik
32. Kristi Yamaguchi won the 1992 Olympic Gold medal in Women's Figure Skating. But, she was also a pairs figure skater winning the US National Pairs Championship twice with this former male figure skater:
(b) Paul Wylie
(c) Todd Eldridge
33. This former female figure skater turned boxer, beat the the former Bill Clinton alleged mistress, Paula Jones, in a boxing match in 1991.
(b) Tonya Harding
(c) Denise Bielmann
34. Who was the first woman to do a triple loop/triple loop combination in a competition?
(b) Oksana Baiul
(c) Katarina Witt
35. On February 15, 1961, 18 members of the US Figure Skating Olympic Team were killed in a plane crash (along with friends and family). In which country did this happen?
36. Robin Cousins, (British) 1980 Olympic Winner is really a cousin to which figure skater?
(b) Tristan Cousins
(c) Both of them
37. Denise Biellman is known for her own move of pulling up one leg behind her back as she spins, called "The Biellman." But, she is also the first women to ever perform which skating move in competition?
(b) Triple Lutz
(c) Triple Flip
38. In 1920, this woman was the first woman ever to perform a jump in an Olympic competition. She was also criticized for performing something so "unladylike." Who was she?
(b) Sonja Henie
(c) Anna Chladimova
39. Surya Bonaly is the only person ever to do which of the following moves in an Olympic competition successfully:
(a) Do a
backflip, landing on one foot.
(b) Do a quadruple toe loop, landing on one foot
(c) Do a quadruple Salchow, landing on one foot.
40. Debbie Thomas was the first black woman to ever win an Olympic Medal in figure skating. In what year did she do this?
41. This woman won a Gold Medal at the Junior Olympics in 1977. Later she became a model and then a soap opera diva.
(b) Kristian Alfonso
(c) Katarina Witt
42. Which of the following was the first ice skating movie ever made?
(b) Ice Castles
(c) The Frozen Warning
43. Which of the following skaters was the first to do a quadruple jump combination successfully in a competition?
(b) Ilia Kulik
(c) Alexei Yagudin
44. After the 1988 Olympics, a rule known as "The Katarina Rule" was set up. What was this rule about?
That there could be no voices in the Free Program music.
(b) That the costumes must have skirts and no excess decorations.
(c) That interviews were not allowed until the entire competition was over and everyone had finished skating and the results were all in.
45. The skating competitions for the men are called "Mens'" in category titles (as in "US Men's Champion). But, the womens' category is called the "Ladies". Why isn't it Mens and Womens? Why is it called Mens and Ladies? Why do commentators use the word "Ladies" and not womens instead?
they are still a little sexist.
(b) Because it's the traditional and "official" term set up by the ISU.
(c) Because it makes the women feel younger to be called a lady and not a woman.
46. Which of the following are the requirements to be a US Figure Skating judge?
(a) Must be
a member of the USFSA (US Figure Skating Association).
(b) Must be at least 16 years old, but you don't have to be a skater.
(c) Must be a US Citizen, who obviously loves figure skating.
47. Which Canadian male figure skater has never won an Olympic medal, although remains a popular favorite with the crowds?
(b) Elvis Stojko
(c) Brian Orser
48. 6 time Czechoslovakian Champion and 1984 Olympic Bronze Medal winner, Jozef Sabovcik, is well-known for which move on the ice?
(b) Split jumps
(c) Triple Combinations
49. Fast spins on the ice in ice dancing are called what?
50. What happens to all the flowers and stuffed animals that are tossed onto the rink after a skater's performance?
The skater keeps them and stores them as mementos.
(b) They are given to local hospitals.
(c) Who knows what happens to them.
Correct = Congratulations! You're A
Gold Medal Figure Skating Fan.
Get up on the podium!
39-26 Correct = Although you don't get any medals, you can keep all the flowers and stuffed animals thrown on the rink.
25-11 Correct = Practice makes perfect! We recommend you watch more skating competitions.
10-0 Correct = Grab some Kleenex and go to the Kiss and Cry area.
Visit our main Halloween page to see us in previous costumes and presentations.
"a few" questions are taken from:
"Figure Skating History: The Evolution of Dance on Ice" by Lynn Copley-Graves
Platoro Press, Columbus, Ohio © 1992
But, mostly from various skater's Fan Sites and other internet pages with statistics (hopefully correct).